11 Feb Our Favorite Inventor: Dr. Winnie Chu
The inventor of the Nanozen DustCount 8899 is Dr. Winnie Chu. She is the founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of Nanozen and has spent most of her professional career improving the technology that detects and prevents workplace exposure to aerosols and airborne particulates.
Winnie grew up in Taiwan. Winnie did her fieldwork in occupational health, going into the deep dark depths of mines and onto the factory floor to do testing. Also, Dr. Chu consulted for both government and industry on occupational health monitoring and management.
She noticed a big gap in the ability to monitor workers air for dangerous dust particles and started a research project and created a university spinoff, Nanozen Industries.
Her goal was impressive and monumental. She wanted to develop a real-time microdevice to prevent worker deaths from dust inhalation in the workplace. Currently, the death toll amounts to a disgusting number well over 100,000 from respirable dust particles.
Acknowledging a pressing demand to improve the sensing and monitoring methods for particulates, she turned her innovative mind toward a modern device. The budget-friendly, wearable, and extremely accurate sensors deliver a quick, real-time result even in the toughest of conditions.
She made the Nanozen Dustcount 8899 with the following features:
- Easy to use, automated pump control and calibration
- The device is lightweight and can be held in one hand or a clip on a belt or pocket
- The web-enabled control interface, no difficult buttons or sequences
- Highly accurate; test and see the results of the readings within seconds
- Measurement of respirable dust < 4 micron
- Particle counts and mass concentration
- Post sample analysis capability. The ability to program a correlation coefficient into the unit that reflects the post gravimetric results.
Dr. Chu currently serves on the environmental sensor review panel at the US National Science Foundation. She is a specialist in semiconductor sensors. She finds joy out of creating things to help people. She draws inspiration from humanitarians such as Mahatma Gandhi and Dalai Lama.
Winnie’s favorite quote is:
Give, even if you only have a little. ~Buddha
This blog was written by Linda Rawson, who is the founder of DynaGrace Enterprises (dynagrace.com), an authorized distributor of the Nanozen DustCount 8899. For further information, please connect with Linda on LinkedIn, or contact her at (800) 676-0058 ext 101.